e-statements logo    other payment logopay online


Utility Billing

All utility billing is handled by the City of Bonney Lake Finance Department, except solid waste and recycling, which is handled by Murrey's.

Utility accounts are the responsibility of the property owner. The owner remains responsible for payment, even if the property owner provides a written request to bill tenants. For information on rates and other charges, see Utility Rates.

When a home is sold, the water is normally not turned off; instead, the account is transferred to the name of the new homeowner. If you have sold your home, contact the Finance Department at 253-447-4317 with the name of the new owner and the closing date of your sale.


Utility charges are due upon receipt and become delinquent on the 15th day of the month following the billing. A monthly penalty of two percent of the past due balance but not less than $10.00 shall be charged to all delinquent accounts.

Disconnection is scheduled 30 days after the date of delinquency. If you do not pay the delinquent charges by the delinquent charges due date, your water will be disconnected on the following day. In the event of disconnection due to delinquency, all charges plus a $100.00 turn on fee during the hours of 8:30 A.M - 4:00 P.M. or $150.00 after 4:00 P.M., must be paid to reconnect service.

As of July 23, 2023, if the National Weather Service (NWS) issues a heat-related warning or advisory that includes East Pierce County, Washington, a resident may request water service that has been disconnected for non-payment, to be restored.  Any outstanding balance, past due and related fee's will be due prior to the City's next scheduled water disconnection date.  If payment is not received, water service will be disconnected at that time.  Contact [email protected] or call us at (253) 447-4316 with any questions about restoring water service during NWS heat advisories.  

Questions about your bill?

If you believe that your bill is inaccurate, you can request in writing that the City's Chief Financial Officer review the bill. Please address such requests to the CFO and mail to Justice & Municipal Center, Attn: Bonney Lake Chief Financial Officer, 9002 Main ST E, STE 250, Bonney Lake, WA 98391-0944 or e-mail at [email protected]. Your written request for review must state:

WHAT you are disputing
HOW MUCH you are disputing
WHY you believe the charge is erroneous or inaccurate, and
WHAT ACTION you are requesting the City take

If the Chief Financial Officer or his/her designee determines that the charges are inaccurate, the City will correct your bill and revise the charges for up to four months retroactively.

Other Services and Charges

Estimated final bill (per request): $5.00
Change of ownership: $35.00
Duplicate bill sent (tenant): $45.00
Payment plan setup charge: $15.00
Returned payment charge: $35.00
Read outside standard cycle: $45.00

If a lock has been removed from a meter that has been locked off for any reason, a $100.00 fee will be charged in addition to any utility charges due and payable. If the meter or setter is damaged by this action, the property owner will be charged for labor and materials to repair the service.

Utility Billing Forms

Below are the forms and applications for the Finance Department. Please download and fill out the form and/or application that you need and submit it to the Finance Department per instructions for that service.

Utility Services Application

Applications for utility services are required to have a photo identification, such as a Washington State Driver's license. Because utility services are a lien against the property, purchasers are encouraged to ask their title company to verify billing status prior to closing. Additional fees may apply.

Utility Services Application

Account Change Request
Changes to a utility account such as changing your mailing address or your last name, etc., please submit a Request for Account Change Form. 

Account Change Request
Tenant Change Request

To add or remove a tenant's name to a utility billing account, please submit a tenant change request. As the owner of the home, you must always receive a copy of the bill so that you are always aware of the account's status. Per BLMC 13.04.080, the owner of the property where the water service is attached is responsible for the payment of all connections, shutoffs, turn-on, service charges, and liens, even if the account is set up so a copy of the bill is sent to a tenant or other person. Therefore, the owner of the home cannot be removed from a utility account even when tenants are added. A $45.00 fee is charged to set up a tenant on a utility account.

Tenant Change Request

Senior Citizen/Disabled Discount Application

To qualify to receive this discount, the utility customer must provide proof that they receive the Pierce County "Senior Citizens & Disabled Persons Property Tax Exemption". Because of this requirement, only the property owner can apply for the discount. For more information about the County's property tax discount, please visit the Pierce County website or call the Pierce County Assessor-Treasurer's Office at 253-798-2169.

The Senior/Disabled discount for qualifying property owners is:

  • Water: 50% reduction from the water availability charge.
  • Sewer: 20% reduction from the sewer availability charge.
  • There is no discount on water consumption or sewer volumetric charges.

To apply for a discount on your utility bill, submit the Senior Citizen/Disabled Discount Application form to the Finance Department.

Senior Citizen/Disabled Discount Application

Leak Adjustment Request

The City of Bonney Lake offers a leak adjustment to customers who have had a leak in their private plumbing system when the leak is repaired. The adjustment shall be two-thirds of that portion of the customer's water bill which is over the average normal water usage. An adjustment may be granted upon written request with documentation (repair receipts) and approximate date of prompt repair.

Please review the General Meter Information sheet for information on meters, leaks, meter malfunctions, misreads, repairs and adjustment policies.

Leak adjustments may not be authorized in some situations; review BLMC Chapter 13.04.100(G) for details and requirements.

To request an adjustment, submit a Leak Adjustment Request Form to the Finance Department. The form must include your name, address, account number, phone number, the reason you are requesting an adjustment, the date of prompt repairs, and applicable documentation of repairs (such as receipts).

Irrigation Systems - Backflow Assembly Test Required

Irrigation systems/sprinkler systems must have an approved backflow assembly device to prevent possible contamination of the Municipal drinking system. The device and test reports must be current and on file with the City. When applying for a leak adjustment that has occurred in your irrigation system, attach a copy of the most up-to-date backflow assembly test, or your request will be denied.

For more information on backflow testing, please visit Public Works Cross Connection Control Program web page.

Leak Adjustment Request

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday
8:30am to 4:45pm

Accounting Specialist

Justice & Municipal Center
Attn: Finance
9002 Main ST E, STE 250
Bonney Lake, WA 98391

Phone: 253-447-4317

Fax: 253-447-3181

After Hours Water/Sewer Emergencies:
1-844-821-8911 (Toll Free)